So way back in August 2011, I was nursing Lucy with the windows open, but shades down...it was one of those nurse before nap moments with a dark, quiet room, chubby baby hands, drooping lashes, and full arms.  As she started to drift off, I noticed the way the light was shifting and illuminating the curtains. I have honestly never seen something so other-worldly occur in the middle of something so ordinary. You expect awe on a mountain top, or when the sky turns a million shades of orange, but this caught me by surprise. I believe that is one element of light: it's what makes the sky more profound than the best painting AND it is so essential to our everyday ordinary lives. Sometimes the miracle and the ordinary meet in one moment...that's what this memory represents to me. I also believe this is a small picture of what happened with Jesus's incarnation. Protons, light, God met in the person of an infant who needed his diaper changed, was rocked to sleep, and nursed in a quiet dark room.     - Alice

Comments

Popular Posts